Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Vegan pancakes

Vegan pancakes are probably a bit pointless since traditionally Shrove Tuesday is supposed to be when we use up rich foods before Lent, but I'm making them anyway.

This recipe is super easy and I'm still amazed that you can make such good pancakes without eggs or cows milk.  It's so easy that you don't really need me to tell you what to do,  just that it can be done.

The baking powder in this recipe makes the pancakes really light and fluffy and reminds me of the scrummy pancakes I had for breakfast everyday on a trip to New York.

Ingredients:
1 cup Flour
1 table spoon + 1 tea spoon baking powder
1 tables spoon sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup soya milk
2 tables spoons vegetable oil
Up to 1/2 cup water

Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl or measuring jug, add the soya milk and oil and mix well to form a smooth batter. If the batter is really think add some water. I like to use a measuring jug as I find it easier to pour the batter into the pan.

Heat a small/medium sized pan over a medium/high heat and add enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan. Allow to cook on one side for a couple of minutes and then flip over to cook the other side. Cook the remaining batter (should make approximately six pancakes depending on size).


Serve with your choice of topping, mmm maple syrup!

For yummy banana pancakes which are also gluten free check out Laura's post over at Wrapped up in Rainbows.


4 comments:

  1. This recipe looks to make excellent fluffy pancakes too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are excellent, I'm wondering if the same recipe would work for crumpets as they are so bubbly.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad that there is a version that works :) I love your heart I can see on your blog too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I made lavender hearts for my Etsy shop but decided p&p was too pricey as they are a little bulky, saving them for a craft fair instead. :)

      Delete

Popular Posts